How to Pay Your IRS 1040ES Estimated Taxes


The IRS accepts payment by mail, credit card, or online.

The following instructions are from the IRS 2013 “Form 1040ES Instructions –
“How To Pay Estimated Tax”:

Pay Online:

Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. You can pay using either of the following electronic payment methods.
-Direct transfer from your bank account.
-Credit or debit card.
To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to

Pay by Phone:
Paying by phone is another safe and secure method of paying electronically. Use one of the following methods.
-Direct transfer from your bank account.
-Credit or debit card.
To pay by direct transfer from your bank account, call EFTPS Customer Service at 1-800-555-4477 (English) or 1-800-244-4829 (Espanol). People who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and who have access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 1-800-733-4829.

To pay using a credit or debit card, you can call one of the following service providers. There is a convenience fee charged by these providers that varies by provider, card type, and payment amount.
Official Payments Corporation1-888-UPAY-TAXTM (1-888-872-9829)
Link2Gov Corporation1-888-PAY-1040TM (1-888-729-1040)
WorldPay1-888-9-PAY-TAXTM (1-888-972-9829)
For the latest details on how to pay by phone, go to

Pay by Check or Money Order Using the Estimated Tax Payment Voucher:
There is a separate estimated tax payment voucher for each due date. The due date is shown in the upper right corner. Complete and send in the voucher only if you are making a payment by check or money order. If you and your spouse plan to file separate returns, file separate vouchers instead of a joint voucher.
To complete the voucher, do the following.Print or type your name, address, and SSN in the space provided on the estimated tax payment voucher. If filing a joint voucher, also enter your spouse’s name and SSN. List the names and SSNs in the same order on the joint voucher as you will list them on your joint return.Enter in the box provided on the estimated tax payment voucher only the amount you are sending in by check or money order. When making payments of estimated tax, be sure to take into account any 2012 overpayment that you choose to credit against your 2013 tax, but do not include the overpayment amount in this box.Make your check or money order payable to “United States Treasury.” Do not send cash. To help process your payment accurately, enter the amount on the right side of the check like this: $ XXX.XX. Do not use dashes or lines (for example, do not enter “$ XXX—” or“$ XXX xx100”).Enter “2013 Form 1040-ES” and your SSN on your check or money order. If you are filing a joint estimated tax payment voucher, enter the SSN that you will show first on your joint return.Enclose, but do not staple or attach, your payment with the estimated tax payment voucher.